In my workshops and retreats I always get asked what is my biggest tip for new photographers just starting out. I have a few, but these are what I believe are the most important ones. These are my ‘go to tips’ for new photographers to grow a thriving photography business.
Eight tips for new photographers:
1. Show up authentically and consistently. This is how you build your “know, like and trust” factor for people to want to buy from you.
2. Provide exceptional service which is worth making a remark about. Return clients are the biggest compliment you can receive and something I personally pride myself on. These clients are your “raving fans” and will spread the word about you to other potential clients.
3. Network in-person events and talk to people, tell them what you do and own it. If you’re not talking about your business then no one knows about you, and you will find it harder to generate leads.
4. Keep going, even on the hard days! You can do it, and when you feel you can’t, reach out to other photographers who are in business. I guarantee we have all had the same feelings you are experiencing. Business is hard, but it’s the people who do the hard things that others aren’t willing to do that stand out and make their business a success.
5. Keep your eye on the prize, what do you want from this business? Don’t let what’s going on around you distract you from what you want out of your business. It’s so easy to look sideways but just keep looking forward and focus on what you want for you and your business and work towards that.
6. Create goals, and write them down every day. When writing your goals, make sure you write them clearly and in detail. The more goals the better. Write them often and revisit them. This helps to keep you on task and pointing in the right direction.
7. Back yourself, believe in you! Be your biggest supporter. The entrepenerur life can be lonely and you will be the hardest critic, so be your own cheerleader and take all the non perfect moments as lessons.
8. Be comfortable with being uncomfortable. Owning your own business is a self-development journey like no other, it will take you to places you didn’t know existed but I promise you if you put the work in it will be worth it.
Reach out to me on instagram if you need some support on this journey and please remember, we all start somewhere. I’d love to know which of the tips for new photographers was your favourite! For information on how to choose your shoot location, check out this blog.